CLEMSON AREA AFRICAN AMERICAN MUSEUM
POSTING DATE: September 1, 2021
DEADLINE: September 27, 2021
JOB TITLE: P/T Museum Educator
SALARY: Commensurate with Experience ($13 - $15/hr)
HOURS OF WORK: Approximately 16- 20 hours per week, weekday and some weekend hours required. Applicant must be available to commit to Museum’s entire academic year.
Founded in 2007, the Clemson Area African American Museum (CAAAM) is dedicated to telling and preserving the stories of African Americans in the city of Clemson and in Pickens County. Housed in the building erected in 1948 for the Calhoun Colored School, in the City of Clemson.
The Museum’s Education Department develops and implements programs and excursions for a wide range of visitors including schools, teens, senior citizens and access programs, as well as a range of public programs. The part time Museum Educators will primarily lead school tours and workshops but will also support a variety of education programs as needed, including family programs, tours and public drop-in multigenerational programs. Museum Educators provide
visitors with a welcoming and engaging experience to explore the cultural, social and historical aspects of African Americans in upstate South Carolina.
● Lead educational tours and hands-on workshops for visiting pre K-12 grade school
groups on weekdays.
● In addition to working with school groups, lead and/or assist with a range of educational programming including adult programs, access programs, family programs, public highlight tours, storytelling, performances and multigenerational drop-in programs.
● Use age-appropriate strategies to engage visitors and enhance their understanding of the exhibits and collections.
● Prepare program supplies and material; maintain Educational Center following programs and workshops.
● Proactively engage visitors in Museum exhibits, encourage their curiosity and offer interpretive information to optimize their experience.
● Attend department meetings and training to ensure continued growth and professional development.
● Provide support for other museum departments and programs, including preparing materials and assisting with special events when needed.
● Contribute, as needed, to the development and implementation of new educational initiatives.
● As front-line staff, ensure the safety of visitors and collections.
● Strong communication skills and experience with customer service.
● Enthusiasm, flexibility and the ability to work in a fast paced, team oriented environment.
● Creativity and a sense of humor
● Interest in African American history and culture, STEAM education, Upstate SC History or another related field is a plus.
● HS degree required. Working on a Bachelor’s degree is a plus.
● Experience working with school age children, especially in a museum or similar informal educational setting.
● Knowledge of child development.
ABOUT THE CLEMSON AREA AFRICAN AMERICAN MUSEUM
The Clemson Area African American Museum is the only African American museum in Pickens County devoted to African American history in Upstate South Carolina. The Museum explores the development of the African American communities in the city of Clemson and upstate South Carolina region through the presentation of exhibitions, tours, educational programs and workshops dealing with the cultural, social and historical aspects of African Americans.
This P/T Museum Educator position is funded by the Museum’s non-profit 501 C 3 affiliate, Friends of Clemson Area African American Museum through donations and a grant.
This position is not an employee of the City of Clemson.
Qualified individuals interested in this job opening must apply by email. Resume and cover letter should be submitted as a .doc or .PDF to Angela Agard: firstname.lastname@example.org. Specify the subject as: P/T Museum Educator Posting. Deadline: September 27, 2021
The Clemson Area African American Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer